Friday 5 December 2008

Kudos to news channels!

On that weird Wednesday, I was visiting my folks down Kannur in Kerala. I did not even bother to switch on television as my 3-months-old daughter was drawing all my attention.

So, obviously, I was unaware of all the human tragedy that had been unfolding in Mumbai on that night. Next day, I was staring at the newspaper headlines which screamed, "Mumbai attacked". I felt numb.

As I did not have a cable television connection, I was not able to catch the live events. The shock and awe those events created did not fully get conveyed to me until I reached back in Bangalore and methodically went through the archived news on websites, photos and some Youtube videos.

I received forwarded mails bashing news channels for telecasting the events live. The argument was, it would have helped terrorists to prepare counter strategies.

Let’s spare our news channels at least here, I feel, though I am not at all a fan of them. In any country, the same would have happened. I don't think terrorists were also watching those news channels for advance information while fighting Indian commandos in Taj!

Instead I admire those reporters for their guts. They were gutsy for a change. They risked their lives.

No comments: